In this digital era, every business wants to augment their presence and thus, they are desperately looking for some solutions which can enhance their mileage, uplift their sales volume, and can give them more customers. And there is no doubt that an e-commerce site is truly blessed with all these features and that’s why companies are nowadays opting for e-commerce websites so that they can get a global recognition. Undoubtedly, e-commerce is the latest fad in the IT sector.
Many e-commerce owners from corporate to small shops are embracing best e-commerce platforms so that they can save a chunk of money and can control their online presence. If you are also looking for some of the best open source e-commerce platforms in 2018, then you are in the right place. Below, we are mentioning some of the best free open source e-commerce platforms in 2018.
WooCommerce is undoubtedly a powerful open-source eCommerce plug-in which comprises of a chunk of features and is enough capable of attracting more customers to a WordPress website. Though there are many e-commerce carts are available in the market, wooCommerce is the most effective and easily accessible for any WordPress user. So, it can be concluded that wooCommerce is the best for those who want to make their e-Commerce website feature rich and want to make a strong web presence.
Advantages of Woocommerce
- This plugin is free for downloading and installation
- It connects to all main payment gateways
- With WooCommerce theme, you don’t need to work many things for your website except you need to incorporate the content into your site.
- This is quite expensive as you need to spend a lot of money for the woocommerce theme, extra extension, hosting, and domain name.
- Woocomerce has many moving parts.
The companies who are using Woocommerce are Subaru, New Balance, Mystery Chocolate Box, etc.
With more than 200000 users, Magneto is another popular free open source e-commerce platform. Magneto is also crammed with many user-friendly features that can make your website more compelling.
- Though there is a paid version for upgradation, still it is free.
- If you want you can customize the user interface.
- Magneto provides multi-lingual sites which can load up easily as per the user’s demographic location.
- Though Magneto is crammed with many features, this can make it chunky and resource-hungry.
- You need a strong development skill if you want to use Magneto. Only big companies can hire developers as they can afford money and time.
Some of the eminent Magneto users are Blik, Bonobos, Hu2, Brewshop, and many more.
Though PrestaShop is a new-fangled open source e-commerce platform, it has nearly 850000 users. This open source software is filled with many features and its interface is also very beautiful. This is easy to operate software and thus, it is ideal for the beginners and intermediates.
- This is a light-weighted e-commerce platform so your site will not go to slow down.
- It provides a beautiful and enchanting interface for developing various websites.
- It provides multi-vendor support
- This is not a robust platform like Magneto.
- This is ideal for small and medium-size businesses.
- For extension, you need to invest some amount which is not very less
The companies who are using PrestaShop are Zippo, Timefy, Fashion Stork, etc.
Opencart is another best e-commerce platform for developers as it is easy to use and lightweight. Opencart is ideal for start-ups as it doesn’t take much time to build and customize a website.
- Easy to handle and thus, anyone can manage it.
- Ideal for the start-ups as the cost is very low
- The features are robust and good. The large catalog works wonders for order processing.
- The feature lists are poor as compared to Magneto or other established platforms. So, don’t compare it with Magneto.
- You have to get an extra plugin because sometimes performance is not strong
- Though this is ideal for novice and freshers, still customization options are not fewer. Usually, experienced and deft developers avoid Opencart.
The eminent companies who are using Opencart platform are Cilantro, British Red Cross, etc.
You Might Also Like: THE CRYPTORUBLE: A NEW PLAYER IN THE CRYPTOCURRENCY MARKETS?
Zencart is a very popular open source e-commerce platform and anyone can use it even with a scant knowledge of development. Zencart is created so that people can easily develop their e-commerce sites without having a professional development degree. Zencart is more user-friendly than any other open source e-commerce platform.
- Zencart is a secured software which means your site and other imperative information will remain protected with this software.
- Zencart is thronged with a wide range of features and full customization options.
- With Zencart, You can directly send out HTML emails from your website.
- This platform doesn’t have many extensions or add-ons
- Sometimes you may find difficulties in upgrading your software
- Zencart doesn’t provide any dedicated support.
The companies that are using Zencart are Health Cabin, The Hobby shop, Pipe Divan, etc.
Over the past few years, the growth of X-cart is simply astounding. This open source e-commerce platform has helped to create near about 35000 online stores. X-cart is one of the fastest open source platforms in the realm of e-commerce. X-cart is also crammed with many incredible features.
- It is a multi-lingual and multi-currency support platform
- It is free and open, though there is a paid version.
- You can easily integrate your shopping cart with any reputed payment gateways in the world.
- Until you pay an extra amount, you can’t directly access customer support.
- Though the premium plan is $495 for a lifetime, still it is quite high as compared to the other platforms.
- You need to pay for hosting even you go for a paid plan.
The companies that are using X-cart are Goat Milk Stuff, La Mer Collections, O-cha.com, etc.
Near about 300000 online stores are developed with this open source e-commerce platforms. These days, many more companies are using this platform as they find it is very effective and useful.
- The online support is simply outstanding. Though you can’t get direct support, Oscommerce forum is very active and you can find thousands of solutions for your problem.
- There are many plugins and add-ons which are free for the developers to use. But you need to pay if you want to upgrade them.
- You can open it up easily and customizations are also facile and simple. Thus, any novice or inexperienced developer can also handle this platform.
- This platform requires more maintenance as compared to the other platforms.
- You can’t scale up this platform easily. So, it is ideal for medium and small businesses.
The companies who are using Oscommerce are Melbourne Kitchen Renovations, SoundControl4less, Parsiaco, etc.
8. Drupal Commerce:
Drupal is another popular platform for website designing. Drupal commerce helps you to build your e-commerce site rapidly and more functionally.
- Drupal is very powerful platform and thus, it can be only handled by professional developers.
- This platform has built-in caching, so the overall speed and performance are much better than other platforms.
- There is an online community which will help you to solve your problems.
- You need to learn a lot to handle Drupal commerce
- The interface is a little bit of complicated even if you are a sagacious developer you may find difficulties in handle it.
- For Drupal commerce, you need high power and speed, preferably a VPS or dedicated server.
This is an open source e-commerce Java platform. This Java e-commerce platform offers multifarious opportunities for content storage and management. Moreover, it provides APIs which enable content reuse across different systems within the enterprise. Magnolia relies on the Jackrabbit reference implementation, Google Web Toolkit, Vaadin, and Sass so that it can deliver a robust and flexible e-commerce framework. Apart from Magnolia, there are many open source e-commerce Java platforms and they are Hippo, DotCMS, Qalingo, Mayokat, Broadleaf, Softslate, and many more.
These are the best free open source e-commerce platforms in 2018. From the above-mentioned open source e-commerce software comparison, you can get an idea about advantages and disadvantages of every platform. So, depending on your requirement and skills, you can choose the best open source e-commerce platform for designing your e-commerce site.
Norjimm offers all trending design and web development services along with eCommerce development services, based on custom requirement and industry needs. This made us one of the best eCommerce and Omni channel development companies in India.