In this data-driven era, every organization is generating humongous data in every minute. Sometimes, the organizations face difficulties because they can’t make any fruitful business decision from these raw and uncouth data. Here comes, data analytics which gives actionable conclusions to the businesses from these captured data. But even the best analytics programs couldn’t solve the purpose if the users are unable to interpret and act upon the data which is being presented. The best solution to this problem is the big data visualization.
Let’s take a look at what is data visualization
Big data visualization is a process which converts a large amount of analysed data into an easy-to-comprehend visual format so that the users can easily understand them. Big data visualization tools usually present the complex and intricate data into graphs, charts, tables, diagrams, and other visuals so that the users can easily grasp the information quickly and can take necessary actions. It is true that the visual context for data is very important in the field of data analytics. But why so? This is because 90% of data that your brain processes are visual and images are processed 60,000 faster than text. It is the nature of human being that they can easily digest visual information as compared to the text.
Data visualization can be two type static and interactive. The static visualizations are like the charts, maps, etc. which people are using for a long time. While on the other hand, the interactive visualization is newer. It helps people to know more details about these graphs and charts with the help of the mobile devices and computers and then, interactively change which data they see and how it will be processed.
Data visualization used by the companies
Companies across the globe need to deal with the massive data sets from multifarious sources if they want to proliferate their growth and success in this data-driven world. But it would be a daunting job for them to extract some meaningful information from the puzzling array of information. Thus, the companies which are into data visualization, are ready to help other organizations to overcome this challenge with the new and advanced data visualization tools that are crammed with all the features of data visualization. Below, we are mentioning the name of top 5 data visualization solution provider.
Data visualization tools
Some of the prominent data visualization tools are
1. Tableau: This is a perfect data visualization tool for the corporates. It helps you to create charts, graphs, maps, and other graphics. The companies that are using Tableau are Pandora, Barclays, and Citrix.
2. Infogram: This tool usually links their visualizations and infographics to real-time big data. You need to choose a template among many templates and then you can personalize it with charts, map. Images, and even videos.
3. ChartBlocks: This is another easy-to-use tool which requires no coding and builds visualization from spreadsheets, databases, and live feeds.
4. Datawrapper: Here also a coding is not required. You can upload your data and can create and publish a chart or a map. This tool is used by the companies like Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, BuzzFeed, etc.
5. Plotly: This tool helps you to create slick and sharp chart within a few minutes. This tool is used by Google, The New York University, Air Force, Goji, etc.
Apart from the above-mentioned tools, some other popular data visualization tools are RAW, Visual.ly, D3js, Ember Charts, NVD3, etc.
The importance or the benefits of Data visualization
The core benefit of data visualization is that it helps the decision makers to comprehend the large data sets in a better way and thus, helps them to take some meaningful decisions for the betterment of the businesses. But data visualization offers a chunk of benefits apart from this. Let’s unravel some of the powerful benefits of data visualization.
1. It can process a large number of data sets quickly: Big data is a buzzing word in these days. Now, the data has been captured, organized, and analysed by every organization. Since too much raw data are stockpiled and thus, it becomes a formidable job for an average human being to make some conclusions from these raw and uncouth data. But fortunately, big data visualization omits all the lengthy process of data comprehension and it makes possible for users to digest large and complex data stores at a glance. With the help of interactive and visually-presented dashboards, big data visualization makes the entire process much simple and facile.
2. Access all important and relevant data in real time: As the technology is evolving day by day, so you also need to adopt the new technology to stay competitive in this era. If you are using the old traditional methods of collating to refine the vast amount of data sets, then certainly you will be out from the competition. While on the other hand, all the big data visualization tools operate in real time and constantly update the information which is being presented. This will help a user to access the information at any real time. In 2013, a study conducted by Aberdeen group has claimed that managers who use data visualization tools are 28 percent more likely to find information that is timely.
3. Helps to understand data in a better way: Interactive visualization tools make data visualization process beyond the use of simple graphs, charts, and maps. These tools help the users to see more than the numbers and stats and help them to understand data in a better way. With the help of these tools, the users can delve the deeper causes and identify the issues which they need to improve. If they can identify the causes and issues, then they will certainly take better decisions which can boost their growth and profitability.
4. Helps them to discover the hidden relationship between the business process and performance: A few business leaders still argue that the daily business processes and operational activities of an organization have a direct impact on overall business performance. According to them, it would be an arduous job to see how exactly these activities are affecting the success of a company. But if you have big data visualization tools with you, then you don’t need to worry about this. Because these tools allow the leaders to unravel the hidden relationships that connect the day-to-day processes of a company with its performance.
5. Tells a story through data: Every human being prefers information linearly which means they prefer to see the causes, effects, and solutions such a way in a line so that it can convey a story to them. Data visualization does the same thing by presenting data in a visually centred way. This helps the users to comprehend data in a better way and also helps them to take some strong and data-oriented decisions.
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, data visualization can also
1. Identifies the weak areas of business that need special attention or improvement.
2. Clarifies which factors influence behaviour of the customers.
3. Helps you understand which products you need to place where.
4. Predict your sales volumes and business growth
Big data visualization examples
Now, we are going to mention some of the captivating examples of big data visualization.
1. Weather around the world: Ventusky is a meteorological data visualization which tells you what would be the weather condition in different places across the globe.
2. Gay marriage status in the USA: From the New York Times, this visual clearly describes the changing legislation regarding same-sex marriages (gay marriage) across the United States.
3. Most frequently requested skills in job advertisements: NESTA gives an interesting look at the most sought-after skills for work. They divided the entire job industries into three parts and they are digital tech, creative, and other industries.
4. Country to country immigration from 2010 to 2015: This visual depicts the net immigration from 5 years between 2010 to 2015.
5. Languages in the world: This interactive visual by DensityDesign is very impressive as it introduces the non-linguist to the many world languages — all 2,678 of them. This visual allows you to explore the common languages families and thus, you can see which languages are most spoken. You can also get an idea which languages are spoken mostly around the world. This is a perfect example of visual storytelling.
Data visualization challenges
Big data visualization is the key to the success of a business. It helps you to dig more insights of your data so that you can take some robust and healthy data-driven decisions for your business. Though the benefits of data visualization are fathomless, still an organization needs to overcome certain challenges if they want to get benefitted by data visualization. Here, are some challenges that should be addressed.
1. Need to employ visualization specialists: though most of the data visualization tools are designed in such a way that they can easily be operated by anyone. Still, if you want to extract more accurate information from these tools, you need to hire a specialist who has a vast knowledge of data visualization.
2. Hardware resources: Data visualization is a computing task which means you need powerful computer hardware, fast storage systems, or even a move to cloud. So, if you want the best results from data visualization, make sure you have all the resources.
3. Data quality: The insights that you will get from data visualization are only as accurate as the data that is being visualized: if it is inappropriate, then the value of any insights is questionable. So, if you don’t want to compromise data quality, make sure that every process like managing corporate data, metadata, data sources, and data cleaning are performed properly before storage.
Hope, from the article you will understand what is data visualization and why it has become a necessity for the businesses. So, you should incorporate data visualization into your business strategy, if you want to establish your ubiquitous presence in today’s world.
Norjimm is a leading software outsourcing company India offering all kinds of web application development and mobile app development services. We are known for our innovative and future preparatory approach that we follow. Get in touch with us today to get the best software and app development services.