There is a chunk of new trends emerging out in the IT industry, but only a few manage to survive in this steep competitive market. If compared to the last year, 60% of the phenomenal rise in the number of mobile apps introduced on both iOS and Android stores, clearly indicates that mobile app development Industries are growing very fast.
A statistics report has claimed that in just a few months of 2018, mobile phones have generated 52.2 percent of all website traffic and this number is evolving day by day. A plethora of studies has also claimed that mobile users spend 90% of their mobile time in apps. So, to stay competitive in businesses, every organization needs to embrace a mobile-first design strategy. If you want to outstrip your contenders, then you should provide a great UX so that the customers can easily get attracted to your apps.
The app store is thronged with nearly 1 million mobile apps which are grappling with users’ attention almost in every category. Therefore, it is very important for the companies to design an app which possesses a high-end aesthetic and matches with the need of the customers. In this article, we are going to guide you how to stay updated with the smarter insights and can create best mobile UI design trends in 2018.
Let’s check out some of the top mobile app design trends, 2018.
1. Overall simplicity and comfort: Though these days, people are giving more priority to UX/UI, Amazon and Twitter proved that there is still a need for simple and comfortable designs in the market. If you don’t distract your users with over-the-top graphics and extremely detailed typography, then they will certainly pay more attention to your content. And, this should be your first priority if you want to make some best-designed apps in 2018. Your designers don’t need expertise on custom text effects, detailed icons or repeating textures rather by using their skill set, they can create a simple interface which can easily grab the attention of your users.
2. Add animations and interactions: Whether you are planning for best-designed apps in Android and iOS, adding animations or interactions to icons, fonts, photos, and buttons of a mobile UI interface will always make a good impact on your app users. This is also known as micro interaction and was introduced by Dan Saffer. Micro interaction means you need to add more interaction designs for some details of mobile app interfaces. This will help your users to communicate with apps easily and conveniently. In these days, you will find many devices where interactions are gesture-based. You can take an example of iPhone X where there is no Home button. This will definitely be a good app trend in 2018.
3. Full-screen designs: Frameless design trends are very popular for the newly launched smartphones. With the release of Samsung Galaxy S8 and iPhone X, people are showing their proximity to full-screen experiences. The users are not only expecting full screen in these days but also they are expecting good quality of visuals and videos (HD quality). These days, a video is considered a popular marketing tool and a statistics has claimed that 78% of mobile device users used to watch videos at least once a week, and 55% every day.
4. Overlapping effect: this is another popular app design trends in 2018 which will be ruling in the field of mobile app development. The overlapping of fonts, graphics, and colours will not only make your UI designs more enchanting but also create a sense of space. If you overlap same elements along with shadows, then this will also make the whole mobile app interface designs more intriguing and beautiful. That’s why overlapping of different mobile app UI design elements has been used by the app designers and this will continue to rule in 2018 and upcoming years also.
5. Use vibrant colour and font contrast: Try to use strong colour and font contrast because this can help your designers to work out an excellent UI design which can attract the attention of the users. If you use fonts in different styles, types, sizes or orders, then this can also deliver a sense of hierarchy and space. Moreover, colour in different types and styles will make your designs more colourful and will also enhance the readability. So, bold colour and font contrast are the popular mobile design trends in 2018.
You Might Also Like: TOP SOFTWARE TESTING TRENDS EVERY TESTER SHOULD FOLLOW IN 2018
6. Voice-activated interfaces and conversational design: 2015 comScore study has claimed that an average mobile app user uses three apps frequently, and at least one of them is a messaging app. This is because people love to do chatting and businesses are also preferring and using these apps to establish their brands firmly in front of the customers. That is why chatbots and voice-activated assistants, powered by artificial intelligence are very demanding and hot trends in 2018. Chatbots are good replacements of human power and most of the time they are leveraged with other message apps (like Facebook messenger) so that they can act as voice assistants. In 2016, Google has claimed that nearly 20 percent of mobile searches were done with voice activation. Siri is an iPhone app where you can easily start or log in a voice-activated mobile app with your voice orders instead of clicking any button. Voice-activated interactions boost the user experience by eliminating the type. Now, a user can do his works while still, he can search the restaurants nearby him with these voice apps. In 2017, the mobile apps which possess voice ordering services became the most popular apps and in 2018, this trend will grow rapidly.
7. Biometrical authorization: This could be another popular mobile technology trends in 2018. Apps that use biometric-based technology don’t need for a traditional login requirement. With biometrics, the only requirement is for some specific physiological or behavioural characteristics like facial recognition, fingerprints, or even voice recognition. As per the survey of Apple, an average iPhone user generally unlocks his device 80 times per day and nearly, 89% of them use Touch ID for unlocking the device. In 2018, biometrics will be more accessible and you will see more use of biometrics in mobile app design. This technology also uplift mobile app security for both end users and businesses. In 2018, Face ID will replace the touch ID. Face ID has become popular in these days and is available for iPhone X users. This is the most natural way of authentication and this trend will grow in the upcoming years also.
8. More focus on VR or AR: As technologies are inventing day by day, so it is expecting that in 2018, VR and AR will manage to capture more attention from the users. This will definitely create multifarious opportunities for the app designers who are looking to upgrade their designs based on the current needs. A year ago, Mark Zuckerberg predicted that all screens will eventually be replaced by lenses. In 2018, a chunk of mobile phone users is using their phones or tablets as a lens into a virtual world. Now, the market is crammed with many AR-based apps. People are using AR apps for entertainment purposes. You must be familiar with Pokemon Go which is nothing but a great example of how you can use AR for entertainment. But AR is not only limited to games. For example, AR lenses can easily be integrated into messaging apps and this will create the more engaging user experience.
9. Cashless and cardless payments: Cashless payment is also a popular mobile app design trend and in 2018, you will see more Apple Pay or Android pay apps are developed by the developers. A report published by Juniper Research has claimed that states the number of consumers using either Apple or Android Pay increased to 86 million (for Apple) and 24 million (for Android) in 2017 and in 2018, it will keep increasing. These payment apps are so powerful that they can change daily commerce.
10. Smart personalization: Personalized UX will continue to grow and it will become a great trend in 2018. Now, people are travelling with their mobile phones and the apps that are installed on the devices can utilize location data and can embrace the users with relevant content as per the user’s current location. This make services more responsive to the environments around them. Mobile apps like Starbucks is utilizing this feature to provide special offers for customers. In 2018, you will see more such apps which will give better user experience.
11. Mixing different design trends: In order to design an aesthetically beautiful app, designers often mix two or three designs instead of one. For example, they will often adopt overlapping effects, animations and bold colour to give much better and unexpected effects.
The above, we mentioned some of the top mobile design trends in 2018. As technology is evolving day by day, the future of mobile app design is very bright and scintillating. Try to take inspiration from the above-mentioned design trends whenever you are planning to design mobile apps and make some eye-catching mobile app UI designs with distinctive interfaces and good user experiences. Mobile app designs which are captivating and interactive will keep users hooked to your app for a prolonged time. But it is also true that mobile app UX design will keep changing with the time and users’ needs. So, your app UX designer should be very creative and proficient and should understand the changing needs of the customers.
Norjimm is a creative software development company India who keeps you ahead of the technology curve by crafting strategic IT business solutions enabling business success. We offer unmatched expertise with teams having an average project experience of 8+ years with deep understanding of hardware behind the software system.